Recipe ideas

Talk on style questions and questions about recipes.

Recipe ideas

Postby cvalicka » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:09 am

Hey all,

First I wanted to say that I had a blast at the December meeting. I'm really hoping to attend the group brew project in late January/early February.

For Christmas, my youngest brother bought me ~4ounces of amarillo hops, and I thought it would be fun to have both my brothers over to brew together. I've been brewing for a couple years, but am still very much an amateur/beginner and this will be my brothers' first time brewing.

That being said, I was hoping to get some recipe ideas from all the homebrewers on the forum that incorporates amarillo hops. I was planning to use Friar Tucks and Northern Brewer to get the rest of the ingredients for an extract recipe, and only have experience brewing 5 gallon batches.

I know that my younger brother loves IPAs and my other brother and I are a flexible when it comes to style. I'm trying to brew a style that is appropriate for late winter/early spring. Originally, I was thinking of doing a tripel/ipa hybrid and adding something extra like orange zest. I think it is fair to say that my brothers and I favor American style hopping.

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Best,
Chris
cvalicka
BUZZ Newb

BUZZ Newb

Favorite Beer?: New Belgium Abbey

Re: Recipe ideas

Postby cvalicka » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 pm

All,

I realized after posting that I had likely put my topic in the wrong section. I didn't know what to expect as far as feedback; I'll have to rethink my approach next time.

Anyway, I ended up ordering the Houblonmonstre kit from northern brewer and I'll give it a try. Probably dry hop it with some amarillo hops. It should be pretty hoppy.

Anyway, I'll post my results and if anybody has brewed the kit before and has any suggestions, please share.

I don't think I'll be able to make the meeting if it is on Thursday, due to my preliminary exam on Friday, but I'm still hoping to partake in the group brew.

Chris
cvalicka
BUZZ Newb

BUZZ Newb

Postby jonathan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Hey Chris,

Here's a recipe I just did with all Amarillo hops based on Three Floyds Gumballhead American Pale Wheat Ale. It uses a hop bursting technique and produces a very tastey product.

Recipe: Pale Wheat Ale TYPE: All Grain
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 5.3 SRM SRM RANGE: 3.0-6.0 SRM
IBU: 30.6 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 15.0-30.0 IBUs
OG: 1.054 SG OG RANGE: 1.040-1.055 SG
FG: 1.012 SG FG RANGE: 1.008-1.013 SG
BU:GU: 0.570 Calories: 179.9 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 5.5 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 6.00 gal Boil: 8.48 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16.00 gal Champaign Water 1 -
4.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 8.0 oz Total Hops: 5.00 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4 4.0 %
6 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 48.0 %
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 40.0 %
1 lbs Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 7 8.0 %
1.00 Items Check pH (Mash 15.0 mins) Other 8 -

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.91 gal of water at 162.6 F 153.0 F 60 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 90.0 F/90.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 6.07 gal water at 168.0 F
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 9 13.3 IBUs

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG Est OG: 1.054 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 6.0 IBUs
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 3.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 13 -
1.00 Items Start sterilization loop (Boil 10.0 mins Other 14 -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 7.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 16 1.0 IBUs

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 8/3/2012 - 14.00 Days at 67.0 F
Secondary Start: 8/17/2012 - 7.00 Days at 67.0 F
Style Carb Range: 2.30-2.60 Vols
Bottling Date: 8/24/2012 with 2.6 Volumes CO2:
---NOTES------------------------------------
Yeast- used 2 pkg US-05
Recirculated last 20 minutes (HERMS)
Cold crashed 1 week at 35F
Bottled 8-30-12

jonathan
BUZZ Newb

BUZZ Newb

Favorite Beer?: DIPA

Postby cvalicka » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Jonathan,

Thank you very much for the reply! Both of my brothers and I very much like Three Floyds' Gumballhead. I don't currently have the equipment to do all grain brewing and haven't had the opportunity to give it a try with someone who knows what they are doing, yet. I think I'm relegated to extract brewing until I get into an home with more space and a landlord that won't prohibit me using a gas burner. Hopefully the club will still have the group brew session at the pilot plant and I can get my feet wet with all-grain brewing. I'll plan to hold onto your recipe as it's a really strong candidate for when I get to do my first all-grain batch ;D .

Thanks again,
Chris
cvalicka
BUZZ Newb

BUZZ Newb

Postby joel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:39 am

On a more general note, I find recipe formulation one of the most enjoyable aspects of brewing, so I'd approach the whole thing a little differently than searching for a recipe that includes Amarillo hops. I'd think about a way to make that hop shine through. That would steer me toward a pale ale, IPA, or hop-forward light-colored ale (I'd call it a blonde ale but that seems to confuse BJCP types). Then build a beer from the ground up that meets that profile, keeping in mind your preference and equipment: malt/hop/yeast choice, malt/hop balance, starting gravity (or alcohol content), etc. Using a recipe formulation program helps here since you can tinker with the different variables and see how that impacts things. A somewhat dated but still useful and flexible web-based recipe calculator can be found here:

http://hbd.org/recipator/

The Spreadsheet allows you to start from scratch; the Recipe Database gives you starting points using other people's recipes (which is no guarantee of a good recipe, of course).
joel
BUZZ Legend

BUZZ Legend

Favorite Beer?: Dirty Hippy Mild. Or Samichlaus. Maybe Bigfoot. Or Bourbon County Stout. Victory Prima Pils would also do...

Return to Beer Styles and Recipes