The 19th Annual Boneyard Brew Off
Results are available here:
Held Saturday, January 12th, 2013
- Organized by the Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots
- Sanctioned by the American Homebrewers Association
- Judged by Beer Judge Certification Program certified judges
- A Midwest Homebrewer of the Year competition
BJCP 2008 Revision of the 2004 Style Guidelines for beer, mead, and cider will be used to judge entries. Prior to judging, categories may be expanded or collapsed for ribbon determination at the discretion of the competition staff, based on number of entries in each category or subcategory.
Additional special category:
No One Gets Out Alive High Gravity Brew-Off
Sole Requirement: Any beer, mead, or cider with a starting gravity over 1.070. Entries will be judged hedonically on potency, flavor/aroma, and overall drinkability. Winner will not be eligible for Best of Show, but a separate award will be given.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE REGISTERED ONLINE! You may enter your beers using the entry form.
Registration opens December 15th and closes January 3rd!
Entries accepted December 26th through January 7th!
Only one entry per a BJCP Category.
Judge entry walk-ins (of their own entries only!) allowed with prior notice if entry forms and fees are received during the above-listed period.
Fee: $6 for the first entry; $5 for subsequent entries from the same brewer(s). Two (2) bottles per entry; common requirements apply, e.g., 10-16 ounce bottles, no identifying marks on the bottle or cap. The sole exception is that for High-Gravity Brew-Off special category entries, only one (1) bottle is required and the fee is $3 per entry.
Getting Entries To Us
There are three ways to get your entries (and entry fees) to us:
- You can ship the entries to: Lyle Amacer, ATTN: Boneyard Brew-Off, 403 W. Tomaras, Savoy, IL 61874. Pack the bottles well but don't kill a forest. It is illegal to ship alcohol through the United States Postal Service, but it is not illegal to use private shippers for samples to be organoleptically evaluated. However, individual clerks may not be aware of the regulations, so it is sufficient to label the contents "non-perishable food."
- You can drop-off the entries off at the Amacher residence listed above. Prepare the bottles as normal, labels attached with a rubber band, put in a six-pack carrier or other easily-handled container along with the fee. Drop offs need to be schedule. Call Lyle to schedule a time 217-419-4410.
- If and only if you're judging, you can bring your entries to us the evening before or morning of the event. Please arrive early to allow us time to process your entries. If you bring them the day of the competition you are responsible for seeing that your entries arrive at the proper temperature and in the proper condition. NOTE: Saturday walk-ins from B.U.Z.Z. members will not be accepted under any circumstances!
We can always use judges and stewards for the competition. For more information on how you can help and the social opportunities that preceed and follow the competition, visit the volunteer page.
The B.U.Z.Z. thanks the sponsors of last year’s Brew-Off:
Big Sky Brewing Company
Brew Your Own
Midwest Homebrewing and Wine Making Supplies
North Country Malt Supply
Upstream Brewing Company
Dogfish Head Brewing Co.
Wyeast Laboratories Inc.
Grape and Granary
Jet Carboy and Bottle Washer Company
Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition
Prairie Perspectives Photography
To become a sponsor or for further information, please contact one of the following people:
PO Box 2952
Champaign IL 61825